Thursday, March 6, 2008

The GIFT of Purity

I've been wrestling with this all day:
What is purity? Is it a gift from God or a gift to God?

What does Jesus have to say about this?

14Again Jesus called the crowd to him and said, "Listen to me, everyone, and understand this. 15Nothing outside a man can make him 'unclean' by going into him. Rather, it is what comes out of a man that makes him 'unclean.' "

17After he had left the crowd and entered the house, his disciples asked him about this parable. 18"Are you so dull?" he asked. "Don't you see that nothing that enters a man from the outside can make him 'unclean'? 19For it doesn't go into his heart but into his stomach, and then out of his body." (In saying this, Jesus declared all foods "clean.")

20He went on: "What comes out of a man is what makes him 'unclean.' 21For from within, out of men's hearts, come evil thoughts, sexual immorality, theft, murder, adultery, 22greed, malice, deceit, lewdness, envy, slander, arrogance and folly. 23All these evils come from inside and make a man 'unclean.' "

Mark 7:14-23

All these evils come from inside and make a man 'unclean.'
Alright, I got it. The list (
come evil thoughts, sexual immorality, theft, murder, adultery, greed, malice, deceit, lewdness, envy, slander, arrogance and folly) seems more evident in my life than the fruits of the Spirit (love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control). I don't really need to qualify myself to anyone, but God. I need fundamental change, and persistent effort to seek what God wants with my heart.
10 Create in me a pure heart, O God,
and renew a steadfast spirit within me.

11 Do not cast me from your presence
or take your Holy Spirit from me.

12 Restore to me the joy of your salvation
and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me.

13 Then I will teach transgressors your ways,
and sinners will turn back to you.

14 Save me from bloodguilt, O God,
the God who saves me,
and my tongue will sing of your righteousness.

15 O Lord, open my lips,
and my mouth will declare your praise.

16 You do not delight in sacrifice, or I would bring it;
you do not take pleasure in burnt offerings.

17 The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit;
a broken and contrite heart,
O God, you will not despise.

Psalm 51:10-17

Create in me a pure heart...
I've been reflecting on this for weeks now, the one thing I do know about my heart is this: it's not pure, but it wants to be. I read about King David, the man after God's heart, and I want this indeed. I've been learning that the foundation of a pure heart requires a lot of work, but it's incredibly self-motivated and proactive. Hear me out on this, you need to be self-motivated to keep yourself away from selfishness. There's a quote I've been meaning to share:

Those filled with unchecked pride cant love as they should or receive love as they could.

I hate how pride finds a way to destroy everything, it can make a pure heart impure. Most of the work needed to protect a pure heart involves initiative to keep pride from getting involved. I don't want this gift I desire from God to be anything but this: I want to reflect Christ. Not just His image, but His character and love. Lord, check my pride.. and let's get to work!


1 comment:

Phil said...

In the bible the word simplicity also means Pure, or singleness of heart. The greek word is Hapelotes (with a lot of punctuation not on the keyboard) Check it out!